SHRM Student Case Competition 2017
SHRM Student Case Competition INFORMATION
East Division – Philadelphia, PA
Date of case competition: April 21-22, 2017
The Case Competition provides a realistic preview of the types of problems that students may eventually encounter in the workplace. The case study focuses on any number of HR/workplace issues and requires strategic thinking, ethical decision-making, and strong leadership and presentation skills.
To help level the playing field and more effectively address the varying experience levels of both traditional and nontraditional students, Case Competition teams will compete in one of two division levels:
- Division I: Each team is made up of a minimum of two and a maximum of six undergraduate students, with each team member being age 25 or younger as of January 1, 2017.
- Division II: Each team is made up of a minimum of two and a maximum of six students meeting one of the criteria below:
- The team is made up entirely of graduate students (regardless of age) OR
- The team is made up of undergraduate students and at least one team member is age 26 or older as of January 1, 2017.
Case Competition Teams. This year, 30 teams will have the opportunity to compete at each Case Competition event (Central, West and East).
Engaging Keynote Speakers. Each 2017 SHRM Student Case Competition and Career Summit features an inspiring keynote speaker with a unique message specifically for students. Be prepared to come away inspired about the future. You may want to consider who the keynote speaker will be (in addition to dates and location) when selecting the Career Summit you plan to attend!
Career Connection Zone. The Career Connection Zone provides an opportunity for students to connect with their peers and HR professionals who will expand their network, increase their influence and grow their contacts list. The Career Connection Zone is part interview, part workshop and part engaging conversation. Come ready to get in the Zone!
Rules & Regulations
The Case Competition is made up of two phases:
- The pre-event virtual preparation, followed by the onsite oral presentation at the 2017 SHRM Student Case Competition and Career Summit. As part of the competition’s virtual preparation, teams will analyze a business case study and offer a solution, preparing and submitting both a written executive summary and PowerPoint slides for the oral presentation to be given on the day of the competition. Preliminary and final oral presentation rounds will be held onsite. Teams will compete by delivering an oral presentation to a panel of judges. Prizes will be awarded to the top teams in Division I and Division II at each of the three competitions held across the U.S.
Past Case Competitions
TUSHRM has participated in the Case Competition the past two years:
- March 20-21, 2015- Baltimore, MD: Came in first place for Division I in the East Division.
- April 1-2, 2016 -Omaha, NE: Came in fourth place for Division II in the Central Division.
Division I and Division II Case Competition winners will receive the following:
- Complimentary registrations to the SHRM 2017 Annual Conference & Exposition, to be held June 18-21 in New Orleans, LA, for each team member who participated in the competition and one advisor. Note: Substitutions are not permitted for the complimentary registrations.
- A team plaque, to be presented during the Saturday Awards Ceremony held at each of the 2017 Case Competition and Career Summit events (Central, West and East).
- A check for $2,500 for travel reimbursement made out to your college/university. Note: Prize money will be awarded in the form of a check.
For more information, go to: https://conferences.shrm.org/2017-student-summits