Thursday, November 5th, 2015
now browsing by day
In an effort to support Philabundance, a program aimed to “get food into the hands of those who need it most, ” SHRM will be taking a trip to the Fresh Grocer to purchase cans of food to donate to this amazing cause!
While the economic recession has forced many to re-examine their spending habits, for others it has shaken an already crumbling foundation of financial instability. Feeding America commissioned the 2010 Hunger in America Study, which reported:
- One in six Americans struggle with the reality of hunger
- 40% of people surveyed reported having to choose between paying for food and paying for their rent or mortgage
- More than one third of households that access emergency food have one or more adults who is working
The Delaware Valley is one of the hardest hit areas nationwide, with our children paying the price:
- About 27% percent of Philadelphians live below the poverty line
- Our agencies have seen a 26% increase in need over the past year compared to a 22% increase from the year before.
- One in every three children live in poverty
- Each year, three quarters of a million people are at risk of food insecurity in the Delaware Valley
This crisis is happening in our urban centers, our outlying rural communities, and our own backyards. Philabundance has entered the eye of the storm to provide immediate relief as well as long-term strategies for better access to affordable, nutritious food.
See more at: